onsdag 13 mars 2024

Final Fantasy IV (Pixel Remaster) (Switch)

 

The Warrior Within!

Another ones bite the dust. Fourth game and it seems the fourth time I've finished the game. This is actually the first time I see they enhanced the cutscenes beyond mere upgrading the sprites. First noticed when Rydia burns away the ice and instead of a flame going through the obvious grid it actually melts the whole ice. And then when Leviathan attacks the ship it looks animated. I also discovered some things I didn't get from the original. For example, I've never used the bow and arrows since I found it cumbersome to keep track on the amount of arrows, but turns out that it's the best weapon for Rosa since it allows her to sit in the back and just deal a lot of damage. Helps a lot that they apparently changed it so you only need one arrow and not stock up on them. This and the 3D version used that while all other have the need to stock up on supplies. Another thing that used to bother me was that the monks looked like quarterbacks in American football with helmets and such, wasn't until this playthrough I got that it was marks like Aang in the Last Airbender on their heads. Makes sense now.

Another change is that they got rid of the developer room. It was nothing more than a fourth-wall breaking area where the devs put themselves in and you can interact and fight some of them. I found it rather fun first time finding it since it felt like a secret. But they got rid of it since they had to ask every person involved in the original and some things I get wasn't as PC today to say. Then again, you still have the dancing scenes with the showgirls. 

I played it with 4x EXP and Gil meaning I probably had the same level as when I grinded like hell for the GBA version since I knew some hard parts of the game (the dwarven castle boss fight the worst since it was two boss fights in a row). Of course, was it a walk in the park? No, this game reminds me why I hated the sylph cave with the damn malboros and toads. I find it even more funny that due to equipments and such I gather you are supposed to do that one before the land of summons, but it's just more easy to do that first meaning some equipments are just useless.

So, which version to play? Ease of play this one wins without a problem, although the auto-battle mechanic is a bit of a bother since at times you have to adjust more often than in earlier games and since I can't see what attacks they are auto-ed to compared to the earlier games it can be a bit bothersome. The DS have the 3D graphics and some extra story with Golbez and voice acting (but the 2D versions wins out there since you can hear the awesome music instead of someone talking over it) while the GBA have the changing character mechanic and extra dungeons. PSOne is obviously the loser in any of these beside the cutscenes before and after the game... which I probably should finish one day to just tick it off.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar