onsdag 29 april 2020

NES Classic Mini

Childhood memories packaged for your convenience!

So growing old and turning 32 means you stop getting presents from your parents meaning you gotta do it yourself so I went on a shopping spree on mini consoles. First out was the Nintendo Entertainment System Classic Mini... or NES Classic Mini for short. When it was announced and released I didn't wanna get it. First the shortage making it impossible to find and then the game, most I've already got on the Wii U, 3DS and several other versions (for example Mega Man anniversary collection on Switch and so on) meaning the games doesn't really sell it for me. What changed my mind? Well, after checking it, 15 of the 30 games I don't actually own in any version. I mean, I'm not that interested in getting Galaga, Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, Ninja Gaiden is a game that doesn't speak to me and Star Tropics was kinda weird... and why is Ballon Fight a classic? I'm never gonna buy those alone and the package is nice so why not get it for a bargain?

Secondly, the games I own? How long will the Wii U survive before collapsing? Upgrading every second generation is probably a good one. Thirdly... it's nostalgia. The NES was the very first console my parents bought and that we played. It's just fun with the grey little box, and the controls just feels right in my hands. Also, the controls work with the Wii U/Wii controls by connecting so even better. Although a minus is I had to get a special package with an extra controller, 2 extra extension cords for the controllers and a charger to power the console... which doesn't work and apparently it's common issue with the mini consoles that the most reliable power source being the TV's USB-port. Don't know why. Still, it works as a recharger for my iPod so I don't have to charge it through the computer. Overall the package enhanced the console so I didn't have to sit to close to the TV and also allow 2-player plays... if someone ever would like to play with me. On the other hand always good to have a spare. 

So a fine and fun package. Apparently several have modded the console to get it to put other games on it which feels tempting to get all the games I played as a kid, like the Smurfs, Moon Ranger, Faxanadu and Bionic Commando for example. Games that probably won't get a rerelease either by being unlicensed from the beginning or licensed games that wouldn't be released due to tangled copy rights or just obscure (though Faxanadu I got on Wii virtual console and Bionic Commando have a remake on the PS3 I bought... but the original is still more nostalgic). One thing I found out though was that I can change controller to the Wii Classic Controller which is recommended for at least one player since it has a home-button that allows one to exit the game and go back to the console menu without needing to leave the couch and push the reset button. If I know what I want to play there is no problem, but playing Pac-Man for 10 minutes and then want to switch game to another game for 5-10 minutes can get a bit irritating with the motions. Wish the normal controller had some sort of way to reach it without pushing the button.

Overall, most games (if not all) you can get on the Wii U and some games like Kirby have an enhanced remake on the 3DS which makes it a bit better so is it necessary if you have those? No, not really, maybe for the nostalgia and just to get some controllers might be worth it, or trying out 30 NES classic games to see if some would fit you. Otherwise maybe skip it.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar