onsdag 24 april 2024

Pikmin 4 (Switch)

 

Who let the dog out?

Latest Pikmin game and for the Nintendo Switch, last game for the summer 2023 although I got and finished it after my vacation was over, still work is so slow during those weeks so I could get home after 16:00 without problem. And my co-workers doesn't do anything but talk about gardening and this is the closest I will ever get to it.

Basic story is that Captain Olimar from Pikmin 1 is redoing his adventure and this time ends up in a house on the planet where he finds a radio transmitter that allows him to send out a signal to space. The signal is picked up by the intergalactical Rescue Corp that sets out to save him... and promptly crashes themselves. So they send out their latest recruit, you, the player!

And you set off rescuing the rescue corps with the help of the pikmin you find and a dog that will help you fight and traverse the areas. But you aren't alone, other travellers have stranded as well, there is a school class, some tourists and so on. And a strange leafling that runs around with a dog himself... the same dog Olimar had in the beginning... It's Olimar isn't it?

Yes, while trying to escape the planet he unfortunately crashed back to earth and to save him the pikmins did what they could to save him, they brought him to an onion and it spat out the leafling, more or less the bad ending of the first game. Now he's obsessed with efficency and tries to bring the other stranded people into leaflings so now you gotta do that as well. To cure them you need to do nightly raids where you play sort of a tower defence game as crazed beasts attacks some luminknolls that produce a sap you need to cure the leaflings with. For help you have glow pikmins that seems to be ghost-like pikmins that are created from crystals that the luminknolls use to spew out them. Or if you have rescued Dingo the Ranger he can auto-complete the mission for you if you fail (which I used on the final mission since I was feed up by that time). You save Olimar and are about to go home, but before entering the warp hole your dog grows sick and seems to have caught the leafling bug himself and you have to go back to find a cure.

So you look for a veterinary among the other stranded, but she have been kidnapped by Louie that have taken up Olimars leafling habits. Get the veterinarian back (which is a copy of Brittany from the last game, and copies of Alph and Charlie is here as well) and she confirms that you need the cells from an unaffected dog so you look for Louie until you find him hiding in a 20-level cave with a big dog at the bottom you gotta fight. Well, before that I had to do the Sage Leafs trails to get the onions for the white and purple pikmin to have enough to get through every levels (which made me think out solutions while showering, maybe I'm a bit obsessed at the moment). And then fighting the dog was almost a complete failure. Should have gone to the level before and had diversified my army a bit, or just use red, yellow and ice since that seemed to be the most dangerous phases, especially when I got in with purple white and blue. White helped when he ate them which killed him a bit faster, but it was a really bad deal, but I managed.

Cured the dog and went home, the end! Took me 40 hours pretty much and it was fun... it felt like they changed the timer for the days. I think it was 1 hour in the original, but I still felt I made more progress in the old game. You also have a mode where you play as Olimar that got 15 days to find the 30 pieces of his ship which tells how he got here. There is a remaster of 1 and 2 on the Switch and when I get the physical version I might play that. I actually did finish the original on GameCube, and the sequel on Wii, but there is apparently a bit of QoL improvements that might it even more fun. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar