måndag 5 maj 2014

In Wait For The Wii U

So I was finally able to play the Wii U... after updating it for a couple of hours (my sisters internet connection was probably not the best, but it was all I got). So now I finally have Earthbound in my collection and it has its moments this hour or so I played. Sadly I only got two main games with me, Nintendoland and Super Mario bros U + Super Luigi U that me and my sister tried to play. Thing is I only had the gamepad and a Wii U Pro Controller with me (since all my wiimotes are locked in storage). Now, Nintendoland I can let slide since the Pro Controller may not have existed then so I don't fault it for not working. Super Mario bros on the other hand is a completely different story. The Controller worked, but the catch is that in multiplayer you must at least have two controllers other than the gamepad. Why? Well its supposed to work as a fifth player helping the others by creating blocks and distracting enemies (perfect for that annoying sibling who isn't that good at video games, at least see them as a potiential extra difficulty), but the question remain, why can't I play a normal two player with it? Seriously, shouldn't I be able to choose if I want it to work either way? Do I really have to buy a third controller for co-op? Nintendo what were you thinking?

So for our co-op gaming we had to settle for Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, a beat 'em up based on D&D. Really fun actually, unless you replay it around 10-15 times over 4 days. Also, as it appears with most modern consoles, 24-hour internet connection recommended. During the game it decided to download two apps, which when looked upon I won't touch and be the first to go if storage get tight. I have a couple of problems with this method though, one being that in order for the download to install and update I have to watch it.  Why when I got a gamepad that highlights it's asymmetric gameplay mechanic as a plus? Maybe it needs all processing power, since I'm no expert, but couldn't I at least be able to read the manuals on the games I have to pass time? My sister solved this by turning on the TV, but still. Also, could I at least see how big they are before starting the process? Took over one hour for each app (but again, I blame my sisters internet, but it's hard to prove with no knowledge on the size of it and just some random number between 5 minutes and 100 hours to completion). On the plus side it saved the progress so when the internet crapped out it just restarted once back online.

All in all, initial reactions are mixed, but I should probably wait until I actually play some games created for the system before passing judgment. Also, playing with gamepad feels like an over-sized GBA and with sound from both the TV and pad with the same image on both screens makes it hard to focus on the TV as the pad is closer. Supposedly you can turn the pad screen of, although I haven't figured it out yet.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar